Awards Ceremony and Issuing of Gift Card Awards
It will be expressly stated by the local public sector’s business
representative and chairperson in the regular business meeting that the Gift
Card Awards Program is in fact an “appreciation award” from the members for
participation in the local unit’s organizing campaign. It shall not be construed
in anyway as compensation, wages or reward for performance of a task or duty or
as acting as business representative, staff member officer or delegate of the
IUPAT General Convention, District Council, the local union or public sector unit.:
1) The chairperson of the local public sector unit will appoint a Volunteer
Organizing Committee during a regular business meeting.
2) Upon acceptance of the appointment by the member, the recording secretary
shall record the names of the members of the committee in the regular minutes.
3) The chairperson of the volunteer organizing committee shall report a meeting
date for the committee to discuss the local unit’s organizing plan.
4) The Volunteer Organizing Committee shall meet at the announced time and
place, discuss ideas for a member-to-worker organizing campaign and prepare a
report for the local unit’s membership.
5) The chairperson of the volunteer organizing committee shall give the report
at the next regular business meeting of the local unit. A copy of the report
shall also be given to the local unit’s business representative and the District
Council’s Organizing Director.
6) Once the organizing campaign has commenced the committee, with the assistance
of the business representative, will monitor and maintain a detailed list of
members who have collected signature cards, evaluate the signature cards for
completeness and eligibility for the gift card award program and insure that all
signature cards are given to the local unit’s business representative.
7) The volunteer organizing committee will report at the regular business
meeting the number of members who have turned in signature cards and the number
of cards collected.
8) The local unit’s business representative shall report at the regular business
meeting of the local unit the number of workers who were found to be eligible
for membership and their signature cards were given to the local unit’s employer
for dues processing.
9) In approximately 90 days (6 bi-monthly remittance reports) the business
representative will report at the local unit’s regular meeting the number of new
members who were recruited by the unit’s members as part of the organizing plan
have been in good standing since initiation. A list of the new members who were
deemed to be in continual good-standing for 6 bi-monthly remittance reports will
be given to the volunteer organizing committee for review.
10) The chairperson of the volunteer organizing committee will call a meeting to
evaluate those members and determine which members who are eligible to receive a
Gift Card Award and the number of card an eligible member can receive and
prepare a report.
11) The volunteer organizing committee chairperson will give this report at the
next regular business meeting. A copy of the report shall be given to the local
unit’s chairperson and business representative. The local chairperson shall
entertain a motion to distribute the awards cards as recommended by the volunteer
12) If and when the motion is carried, the local unit chairperson will announce
the time and place if they so choose to commence with the awards, or set the
awards commencement on the agenda at the next regular business meeting.